Hard to handle- The commitments soundtrack (film)
- The tempo is moderately fast
- The time signature is 4/4
- The different rhythmic layers include the piano, trumpet, saxophones, congas, vocals, tambourine, electric guitar, bass, drums
- There are many accompanying rhythmic layers where repetition is a feature for example the bass line has a repeated rhythmic figure, other instruments which have a repeated sequence include the electric guitar, bass, drums.
- The introduction is repeated twice
- The pulse is rhythmically driven
- Majority of short rhythmic values
- Syncopation in the bass and melody parts. The congas use strong syncopation.
- The texture is homophonic
- The main melodic role is the male vocals and the other instruments are accompanying.
- The texture is constantly changing with the addition and subtraction of the instruments.
- The texture builds, although it is always homophonic.
- The texture becomes less when the verse begins sue to the brass and woodwind instruments being subtracted. Then the texture then increases when the backing vocals come in.
- When the lyrics say “ pretty little thing, let me light your candle” is when the texture becomes monophonic because only the vocals are heard.
- The instruments are playing strong, full, accented sounds which add to the overall texture of the song.